History

This page will be updated following our Homecoming in May of 2017.
Click on the
Photographs link under the History link to see pictures of the church from 1853 until the present time.

 

Historical Highlights of the
Autaugaville Baptist Church
1853-2007

Way back when the Baptist cause was young in the South, there was built a church on Davis Hill in the town of Vernon that was the beginning of the Autaugaville Baptist Church. 

Taken from the minutes of October 13, 1853:  “The Vernon Church met in conference at Autaugaville.  Dr. Moodie, moderator, opened a door for the reception of members and received John R. Sartor, Unity F. Sartor, William Sartor and Mary E. Sartor upon a letter of dismission from Concord Church, Macon County dated December 6, 1851 and signed Eli E. Haralson C. Clk. Pro. Tem. Thomas Cranberry moderator.  Also received four colored persons, the servants of Mr. Eli Robinson. Viz. George, Jacob, Washington and Joe.  All of which had been lately baptized by Elder John R. Sartor. Appointed J. D. Moodie and John R. Sartor delegates to the Autauga Association to be held with the Mount Hebron Church.  Agreed to send two dollars to the association. Resolved that we locate our church at Autaugaville.”

 At the Church Conference dated October 21, 1855, the church agreed to change the name of the same from Vernon to Autaugaville.

On October 1, 1919, the following yearly Financial Statement is recorded as a report to the Association: 

     Pastor’s Salary

$ 79.83

     Church Repairs

 205.58

     Church Minutes

       .50

     Home Missions

     4.00

     Foreign Missions

     4.00

     Orphanage

     1.50 

Total membership at beginning of year was 21 with 2 joining by letter, 2 dismissed, 1 death.  Total membership at end of year was 20. The minutes of May 1921 reveal that one of the Sisters in the Church was withdrawn from membership by the Church for walking disorderly.

On September 12, 1937, services were held twice a month, the second and fourth Sunday.  This is also the first recording of a mid-week prayer service which was held on Thursday night.

On July 25, 1943 the Autaugaville Baptist Church was declared to be a corporation under the laws of the State of Alabama.

On March 5, 1950, plans were made to build the Pastorium.

On August 3, 1952, Church voted to go full time under the leadership of Rev. Richard P. Reedy.

September 23, 1973 - First bulletin published with picture of church on the cover.

Regular business meeting February 12, 1984, the church voted to call Rev. Garner V. Clark as full time Pastor and Betty Jo Clark as Youth Director.

Sunrise service held on March 30, 1986 with breakfast served at Autaugaville High School cafeteria, serving approximately 70 people.

New Fellowship Hall completed in July 1986.  Also included renovation of the Educational Building - 3 new classrooms, new carpet, 4 tables and 50 chairs. Total cost was $84,000.00 paid in full without borrowing any money.  Balance remaining in Building Fund was $6.44.

1st Homecoming - May 3, 1981 held with dinner following outside under the trees. 
Mrs. Eula Mae White was the first Homecoming chairperson.

June 2002 - 34 men of church attended Promise Keepers in Atlanta.

July 2002 - Number of Deacons changed from 7 active deacons to 9 because of increase in number of families in church.

September 2002 - Church voted to construct New Fellowship Hall and other additions.

November 2002 - Our church won the high attendance award at the Discipleship Training Night at First Baptist Church - 3 consecutive years.

March 2003 - Received keys to new Fellowship Hall and other additions. It was completed in 6 months.  March 16 held dedication of new Fellowship Hall.  The cost was $300,000 which was paid off in a year.

April 2003 - The Joy Sunday School class volunteered to establish the Courtyard as a Prayer Garden for weddings, receptions, and other festivities.

June 2003 - Began Wednesday Night suppers for Church on the 1st Wednesday night of each month.

May 2005 - Church voted to purchase Visual Projection equipment for $27,000.00

December 2005 - New digital Piano was purchased.

April 2006 - Church voted to hire a part-time youth minister.

May 2006 - Purchased new copier.

June 2006 - Sprinkler system installed in Prayer Garden by Terry Tanner. October 2006 –

Purchased new vacuum cleaner

November 2006 - Church approved purchase of Johnson home and property for $120,000.00 with $5,000.00 being donated back to church. Church now owns the total block. Purchase completed in December 2006

March 2007 - Long Range Planning Committee recommended that the old pastorium be removed and replaced with parking spaces.

There have been 33 pastors.

Bro. Clark will be here 23 years this September.